How many people do you know that would tell you their lives are filled with purpose and meaning? Most people really do lead lives that are mundane with no drive or direction. It is common to feel dissatisfied with life and to believe that your life lacks purpose and meaning. The good news is this does not have to be a permanent condition!
There is no set formula for a meaningful life. The values and perception of the world you have are unique. The most meaningful and purposeful life you can lead is specific to you. Pursue the courage to create a life that potentially lies outside the average.
Live a life filled with meaning and purpose:
1. Help someone. Truly, the most satisfying life is one that serves others in some manner. The list is endless. You could be an author, nurse or teacher, or volunteer to coach youth in a sport. A life without service to others is not as meaningful as it could be.
2. Do something new. Most people live a self-centered life spent only concerned with short-term pleasure and pain. Do something new or different that interests you. It might be a little uncomfortable at first.
3. Drop television for a week. Watching TV is addictive. It also steals valuable hours from your life that could be spent doing countless other things.
- You could go back to school, or even learn to speak another language. How far in your personal development can you get from another year of watching TV every night?
4. Write your own script. Too many people feel compelled to live by the expectations of society. You must go to college, get married, have kids, and have a good career. If your life is structured by society or anyone else, how can you find purpose in life for yourself?
- It’s never too late to break free from the mold that society has created. Does the typical conventional life appeal to you? Make your own rules.
5. Push beyond your comfort zone. An interesting and exciting life awaits beyond that comfortable place we all like to reside. However, the comfort zone is a breeding place for mediocrity.
6. Follow your gut. Your gut is geared to your interests, experiences, and perception of the world. Allow your intuition to guide you in the big decisions.
7. Know your values. What matters the most to you? It is doubtful that you can live a meaningful life that is not built around your values. Be mindful of your principles and consider them when making all your decisions.
- Make a list of all your values and put them in order with the most important at the top of the list. Circle the top six.
- For the next month, make all of your decisions with these six values in mind. If you cannot do it, you might have to rearrange your values!
8. Be aware of your strength and passions. By combining your values, strengths, and passions, you can create a meaningful life. Serve others along the way and you will have a guaranteed winner.
Become aware of your values, strengths, and passions. You are more likely to develop a meaningful life with knowledge of these fundamental areas. The right lifestyle is specific to you. If your life is devoid of purpose and meaning…it is time to create a new life. You don not have to live a life of quiet misery.